Farm to Table and Now to You: A Tasty How to
Tomato Soup and Garlic Bread
Written By: Tinli Yarrington
Photo By: Emily Willis
The Farm to Table program created this delicious dish for lunch for everyone to enjoy. The tomato soup was light and refreshing, and the garlic bread was dense and full of flavor. Definitely a recipe to make again!
For the garlic bread sticks… (makes about 40 pieces)
- 1 cup hot water (~110ºF)
- 2.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup parsley, minced
- 1 tsp salt
For the tomato soup… (serves 4)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- Milk, to taste
- Fresh basil, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the garlic bread sticks…
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar into warm water, and stir to dissolve. Let stand for five minutes.
- Combine the flour and sea salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir to combine.
- Knead the dough until silky and elastic.
- Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours in a warm spot (~70ºF). The dough should double in size.
- Melt the butter in a small pot. Add the garlic and let it cook for 1-2 minutes on low heat.
- Add the 1 tsp salt and parsley, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Punch the dough down to get rid of the air.
- Divide the dough into 40 balls and roll them out into logs.
- Coat the rolls with the garlic-butter mixture and bake for 14 minutes at 400ºF.
For the tomato soup…
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Place the onions and garlic in the saucepan and let them sweat for about 10-15 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add a pinch of salt.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Slowly add the flour while whisking constantly until a roux is formed. If you’d like it to be a bit creamier, add some milk.
- Combine the tomato mixture and roux in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place the soup in bowls, top with fresh basil and serve.