To gain hands-on career experience, learn from dedicated mentors, and simultaneously develop tangible skills to take home.
Project-based learning opportunities in permaculture, agroforestry, and tourism management.
Make a change through working on real projects and interacting with a motivated community on an established permaculture farm.
Once in a Lifetime Opportunity!
As an extended intern, you will live and work alongside our Big Island Farm staff. This opportunity will allow you to gain hands-on career experience, learn from dedicated mentors, and simultaneously develop tangible skills to take home.
We are looking for applicants who genuinely desire to live in harmony with the land and become a part of our hardworking community. You must be self-motivated, work well in a collective, and have a positive attitude.
We will work with you to make sure you get the most out of your time with us and that your project will be related to your area of interest. Our program style is based on experiential education and practical skill-building. We are currently offering project-based learning opportunities in permaculture, agroforestry, and tourism management. As an extended intern, 70% of your time will be focusing on your project, while the other 30% will be working in our food forest, macadamia nut orchard, and in our organic gardens.
Culinary Art Intern
Marketing / Eco - Tourism Management Intern
We are more than happy to work with your professors and institution to make sure you can receive college credit for your internship. We have staff on-site who can assist with all your forms and paperwork to make sure you stay on track with your academic requirements.
You will be staying in our Bali hut; we only have 2 of those private accommodations on our farm, which are reserved for long-term interns. Each hut has two single beds, a side dresser, a mini-fridge, and a nice deck. They each have a separate shower and a shared composting toilet. Max occupancy is two people per unit, for a total of 4 long-term interns.
You will have access to a fully equipped outdoor kitchen and share community meals with our farm helpers and staff during your stay. We have a community meal program where everyone contributes to cooking, prepping, and cleaning. The farm will supply fresh veggies, seasonal fruits, and other staple foods. Please note our food program is primarily vegan/vegetarian.
Cost*: $775/month – minimum of 3-month stay (all-inclusive with airport pick up and drop off)
*Please note that accommodations for extended interns in our Bali huts are subject to be shared. In the event that an intern is assigned to a shared room, the monthly price for accommodations will be reduced to $645/month.All interns will be on a two week trial period. During this time, BIF will evaluate the intern’s performance and determine if the relationship is mutually beneficial. On the rare occasion that the BIF staff concludes that is not, we will provide the intern with 2 week notice and the intern’s program may be cancelled.